Thriving organisations proactively support the wellbeing of their people
When individuals collectively thrive in a workplace then organisations as a whole, are more likely to thrive. At the Australasian Sustainable Wellness Academy (ASWA), we believe that healthy, happy employees are the key to creating thriving organisations.
When we talk about wellness, what we’re really talking about, is living life at your best; having consistent energy levels, the mental clarity and the inner calm, to do the things that are important to you.
At ASWA, we are advocates that wellness should be within everyone’s reach.
Our position is that this can be accomplished through employers, managers, workplace wellness programs and organisational cultures. The culture of an organisation is influenced by the attitudes, behaviours and skillsets of the people within it. So how does a workplace foster a positive and healthy culture that readily supports and promotes the health and wellbeing of its people? More importantly, how does a workplace remain committed to driving a wellness culture long term?
Cultivating a sustainable wellness culture
Firstly, let’s look at the individual. If the individuals in your workplace embrace the concept of wellness and the initiatives put in place to enhance their wellbeing, that’s one step forward.
Personal wellness, is broader than one might think. It’s all encompassing. We have developed the eight principles of wellness that form the foundation of our approach and successful workplace wellness initiatives support employees in fulfilling their needs in each of these eight principles:
- HEALTH & safety Beyond the absence of mental and physical illness, health is feeling that you have the consistent energy levels, the mental clarity and inner calm, to do the things that are important to you. Knowing that you are safe from physical and psychological harm at work. Feeling secure enough to take calculated risks and show vulnerability.
- PURPOSE Being connected to something bigger than yourself. Knowing that your work matters. Knowing what is truly important to you. Having purpose in your life.
- VALUES Knowing that your personal values are supported. Feeling validated and encouraged.
- MINDFULNESS Feeling connected by being present in your workplace relationships. Learning from your experiences and being challenged to use and expand on your strengths.
- NOURISHMENT Experiencing positive, trusting relationships with others. Feeling a sense of belonging, acceptance and support.
- ACHIEVEMENT Succeeding at meeting your individual goals and work aspirations.
- MOVEMENT Regular physical activity throughout your day and feeling like you are progressing in your career.
- RESILIENCE Feeling you have the support, resources and autonomy to achieve your goals. Feeling grateful and expressing appreciation. Building team resilience and strategies to manage stress in the workplace.
If initiatives that address all of these areas are supported by leadership, then the organisation is on the road to a happy, healthy workplace. But who in your workplace has the skills, tools, techniques and time to develop, implement and manage such initiatives?
Enter the Wellness Leader. This could be someone currently in your workplace, with a passion to drive positive and healthy change to benefit the people and the business.
But do we really need a dedicated person for this?
Imagine having a team of people feeling so empowered to live at their best. They are productive, efficient and motivated to give their best to the organisation that supports them to live this way.
Organisations that believe in the power of a thriving workforce stand by their belief and do invest in their people. Those organisations support their people by designating a wellness leader to drive wellbeing in their workplace.
At ASWA, we stand by our belief by actually investing in the creation of the Australian Nationally Recognised framework and resources to support organisations to achieve all of the above.
Founded on evidence-based principles of best practice, for organisations to develop, implement, manage and evaluate employee wellbeing strategies and initiatives. This framework was designed to create the healthiest places to work and ultimately help workplaces to become an employer of choice.
Our online wellness programs for managers help individuals and organisations to be happier, healthier and higher-performing, with optimum wellness, vitality and sustainability.
This is wellness in our ASWA world and this is our commitment to integrating wellness into workplaces and communities in order to bring wellness within everybody’s reach. What’s your wellbeing commitment?
Want to discuss your vision for wellness for your organisation?
The strategic and sustainable approach to wellness
The Australasian Sustainable Wellness Academy’s Diploma of Wellness (Workplaces) has been specifically developed to help managers effectively and efficiently lead wellness among work groups. From developing resilience and mindfulness, integrating wellness principles into life and workplaces, to creating innovative workspaces and managing effective workplace relationships, this qualification meets the needs of organisations to create a safe, healthy and happy workplace culture by establishing strong frameworks to make healthy lifestyle practices commonplace.