Discover why being healthy is key for successful weight management
It may sound completely obvious, but the best way to experience a healthy weight, is to remain or to be healthy. Your body finds it much easier to stay in a healthy weight range when everything is in harmony and is not struggling with being overweight, or diabetic with a poor functioning thyroid or any other issue that reduces health. This is why I believe prevention is the most important part of any health care system.
Sustainable Weight Management
If healthy, sustainable weight management is your goal, being healthy or getting healthy is the first positive step to take. This could be as simple as:
- Increasing the amount of fresh food in your diet; eating more vegetables to increase fibre which research shows will improve your gut microbiome, aiding weight loss.
- Staying really well hydrated with fresh water will help the body to improve elimination and detox pathways, aiding weight management. Aim for 1-2L of water daily.
- Reducing or removing refined sugar from your diet. Sugar and carbohydrate based foods have been shown to increase insulin production, reduce insulin sensitivity and increase fat storage.
- Exercise regularly. Increasing your heart rate even slightly for up to 20 mins every day has been shown to have positive results on your metabolism and your body’s ability to create even more energy.
- Start replacing and reducing items in your pantry that do not nourish you or will even detract from your health like crisps, fried foods, vegetable oils, refined sugars, margarines, processed flours, processed meats, alcohol.
We are all familiar with the old adage, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a ton of cure and nowhere is this more applicable than in terms of our health and our weight. So, if you are looking for better health you may need to lose some weight and if you need to lose weight, first look for better health. Improving your diet with small changes will reward you with increased energy levels, glowing skin and a shrinking waist line.