Choco Charlie Cookies – a healthy alternative for kids
Discovering nutrition and sustainable wellness principles at a young age is a great start for kids to learn positive lifestyle practices. We love this Choco Charlie Cookie recipe from the Sparkly Souls Club at St Hilda’s school on the Gold Coast, Australia, where the primary school students are learning about optimum nutrition and wellbeing skills for life, such as mindfulness and yoga. As ASWA’s hub is full of wellness advocates, educators and change makers that also happen to be parents of young children, we are excited to share this recipe with you after trialling it ourselves. It has now lovingly joined the ASWA team party list of favourites!
Here’s the recipe for you to make Choco Charlie Cookies at home:
Prep time: 25 minutes
Shopping List – organic wherever possible:
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup macadamia/walnut/cashew pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line a baking sheet with baking paper (unbleached if possible).
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, coconut sugar, and salt until well incorporated
- Stir in the coconut oil, vanilla and eggs with your clean hands – kids just love this part of the recipe. Actually, we love this part too!
- Stir in the coconut chips and nut pieces.
- Roll balls of the mixture in your hands and place them on the baking sheet, then flatten each ball into fat patties.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the cookie is soft-set.
- Make yourself a delicious chai tea or similar to enjoy when the cookies are ready.
- Eat these cookies at room temperature or right out of the freezer. Can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer.
We challenge you to try to eat just one!
For more clean eating tips, read nutritionist Caroline Scott’s Clean Eating article on making one small change per day for a happier and healthier family.