Mental Health First Aid – Short Course
For Workplaces, Community and Sporting Groups
Both public courses (online only) and private corporate bookings (onsite and online) available.
2024 PUBLIC COURSES
All public courses are facilitator-led and delivered online via zoom
- Fri 22 Mar 2024, Sun 9 June 2024, Fri 11 Oct 2024
- 9:30am to 12 and 12:30 to 3pm (includes 30 mins lunch break and mini-breaks)
- Small group sizes
- Cost is $330 (includes GST) per person
Each year 1 in 5 Australians will experience a mental illness.
Many people are not knowledgeable or confident enough to offer assistance. This course teaches adult participants:
- How to recognise mental health warning signs
- How to respond to someone experiencing issues with mental health
- Skills to support a co-worker, friend, family or community member
Who should participate?
This small group training is designed for adults, over 18 years, interested in obtaining skills in:
- Recognising mental health warning signs and risk factors
- Understanding risk factors for mental health problems
- Awareness of evidence based medical, psychological and alternative treatments
- How to give appropriate initial help and support to someone experiencing a mental health challenge
- How to take appropriate action if a crisis situation arises.
- Content includes anxiety, depression, panic attacks, suicide, substance use and psychosis.
- Learn how to respond to someone experiencing issues with mental health
- Develop skills to support a friend, family member or co-worker
- Make a difference to your community
- Improve your knowledge of mental health, supports and appropriate first aid strategies
- Improve your confidence in providing first aid to a person experiencing a mental health problem
- Decrease stigmatising attitudes
- Increase the amount of support available to others around you
Two Delivery Method Options:
Option One: 100% online in a facilitator-led blended format. Ideal for hybrid and remote teams. This is the PUBLIC online version. Private bookings also available at a time and date that works for your people.
- Course Component 1 – A self-paced eLearning component (takes 5-7 hours to complete)
- Course Component 2 – An Instructor-led component using video conferencing (2 sessions of 2.5 hours each including set up time).
Option Two: 2-days Face-to-Face
- An Instructor-led course on site at your workplace or other venue.
Why Become a Mental Health First Aider?
Similar to physical first aid, mental health first aid is provided until the person receives professional help or until the crisis resolves. Our Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) courses are delivered under the authority of Mental Health First Aid Australia, by MHFA accredited instructors.
To help others by learning the knowledge and skills to offer first aid for a mental health situation.
Courses are evidence-based with a robust continuous evaluation process
Learn the ALGEE Action Plan and be equipped to help an individual with a mental health situation.
Join a global community at the forefront of mental health.
What others have to say about us:
Having spent my working career in a high paced, demanding and stressful industry, I wanted to learn how to prioritise my health and wellbeing whilst still building and maintaining a successful career. Angela’s support and guidance throughout the course has been invaluable and I would highly recommend that organisations invest in wellness training and development like that offered by ASWA, even more so in this era of COVID-19.
I felt less alone and am very grateful to have been gifted this training course to learn and practice personal skills in wellbeing. Having Angela facilitate the online group also gives me a greater sense of purpose and a safe space to connect with others. I don’t know how I would’ve got through this challenging year without my Wellness Within and ASWA.
ASWA’s Wellness Within program provides the tools, techniques and support for team members to take control of their own wellbeing.
Our environment is fast paced and ever changing so employee wellbeing is key to having a productive and engaged team. ASWA’s training programs provide practical techniques and tips to support me and my team.
The ASWA Wellness Tracker provides a great overall snapshot of an individual or a group to determine and prioritise wellbeing needs as a basis for developing a wellbeing business case and strategic planning purposes.
What gets measured gets managed. For my team and organisation, the ASWA Wellness ROI Calculator and Wellness Tracker provide relevant data and benchmarks for measuring and monitoring our wellbeing strategy and initiatives to shift from reactive to prevention-focused.
ASWA’s concept of providing roadmaps for wellness in life, workplaces and businesses, are excellent innovations that provide opportunity for leaders, and future leaders, to participate in innovative and valuable development programs.
People need to feel safe coming to work and to be able to bring their whole self to work. With a team of approx. 100 people and an environment that is fast paced and ever changing, employee wellbeing is key to having a productive and engaged team. ASWA has helped us form strategies on how to create an environment that promotes health, safety and wellbeing.
I’ve enrolled in your Wellness Within Program today and I’ve just finished the Wellness Tracker, which I thought was spot on in terms of the results and how it is illustrated … great work. Looking forward to continuing the program!
What gets measured gets managed. For my team and organisation, the ASWA Wellness Tracker provides a benchmark for measuring and monitoring our wellness strategy and initiatives. The Wellness Within program provides the tools, techniques and support for team members to take control of their own wellbeing.
Personally, the ASWA Wellness Tracker provides an essential measurement of my wellbeing and importantly, where to focus my time and energy for the greatest impact.
I wanted to combine business skills with my passion for helping people with fitness and wellbeing to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Convenient and easy to organise in my own time at home, I enjoyed every module. We have expert assistance from Angela and the ASWA team who are approachable and available.
Book a Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course to enable yourself and/or your team with practical mental health skills